Selected medical papers relevant to coccydynia
The papers linked to below are the ones most likely to be helpful for coccydynia patients.
- Management of Common Coccygodynia, by Jean-Yves Maigne, is a description of the causes, diagnosis and treatment of coccyx pain. It includes details of the diagnostic method to determine whether the coccyx is dislocating.
- Manipulation for coccydynia, by Michael Durtnall, gives the results of a trial of the use of manipulation to relieve coccydynia.
- Coccydynia/Levator Syndrome, A Therapeutic Test, by Fred Marx, explains an important and simple test to determine whether the pain is in fact related to the coccyx.
- Two papers, Coccydynia Successfully Treated with Ganglion Impar Blocks, by Patrick Foye and others, and CT-guided injection for ganglion impar blockade, by A Datir and D Connell, describe a method of blocking the pain which can give long-term relief in some cases.
- The Coccyx Revisited: External and Internal Exam Correction Procedures [PDF], by Marc Heller, is a chiropractor's description of manual methods for correcting dislocation and relieving pain.
- Prevention of post-coccygectomy infection in a series of 136 coccygectomies, by Levon Doursounian and others, shows that it is possible to avoid infections following surgical removal of the coccyx.
- Intractable Pain Survival (PDF), by Forest Tennant, is a booklet about how to manage and survive constant, severe, disabling pain.
For those who want more detail, here is a full list: