Still waiting and getting frustrated

Lesley Fulton -

Original posting 2002-02-03:

I am a 27-year-old mother of two boys ages 3 1/2 years and 16 months. I am currently experiencing coccydynia, but it seems to much more of a mystery as to how it happened.

My pain started a few months after my second son was born. I had a natural birth and experienced no problems during labour and delivery. I discovered a bump at my tailbone while in the bathtub in March 2001. I was sent for x-rays, CT scan, x-ray with a marker, steroid injection, surgeon and finally phyiotherapy. I am currently getting ultrasound in the area, which is an annoyance and is not working.

My last steroid injection, the surgeon wanted to 'try something new' and hit the bone. I thought I was going to fly off the table. We have finally found out that my tailbone is pointing inward at a 90 degree angle. The bump that I am feeling is the joint. Everyone said that there must have been a great deal of trauma in the area. When I questioned the possibility of the cause being childbirth, everyone except for my physiotherapist thought I was crazy. My therapist said jokingly that maybe I should have another baby and see if that puts it back. That is definitely not an option!! I see my surgeon on Feb 6 and I know that his next recommendation will be surgery.

I absolutely love this website and enjoy reading everyone's personal experiences. I am extremely nervous and unsure about surgery, but am also to the point that I can no longer take the pain and need something done. I do not work, and am not sure about how the kids will take me being out of commission for a while.

I would love to hear any advice anyone has for me.

Lesley Fulton

Update 2002-03-17:

Here I sit, very frustrated and do not know what to do next. I had an appointment with my general surgeon and he asked me if I wanted him to pursue this for me, and asked how much this affects my everyday activities. Well, to my disappointment, I told him yes I wanted him to find me someone to remove my tailbone and that it affects me and am in pain everyday. He told me that he probably would not be able to find anyone that would remove my tailbone, but he would get back to me. Well, weeks passed, so I finally called his office. The receptionist got back to me by saying that they have faxed off my information to a surgeon, but for "your type of thing" it will be another 8 months to see anyone. She then told me that I "will have to grin and bear with it for a bit longer". I just about jumped through the phone at her.

Now, I am unsure what to do. I will be making an appointment with my doctor to ask her for some pain medication. I am finding that with the nicer weather, I am more active, and in more pain at night. Needless to say, I am getting extremely discouraged with things. I know that I will have to deal with this for at least another year, and am hoping that I can cope.

Thank you everyone who emailed me from my last posting. I find it extremely helpful to hear from people. Some days, it feels like I am the only one dealing with this, but when I hear from people and read other stories, it really helps. Even my 3 year old son is compassionate about my tailbone. He is always asking if it is better and suggests things for me to do to help it go away. I know that he does not totally understand what is going on, but he has my best interest at heart, and I love him for it.

Now that I am really depressed, I will thank all of you for your support and wonderful stories. I am looking forward to hearing many more of your stories and success. I hope to update sooner than 8 months from now.

Lesley Fulton

Update, 2002-12-01:

I know that I have not posted in a while, but I have been waiting for my appointment with a surgeon. Well, last Tuesday I went to see my surgeon, and they finally determined that, yes it is my tailbone causing the pain. I am glad to see that someone has finally figured that out. He did an internal examination to make sure that my tailbone, which is at a 90 degree angle pointing inward, was not protruding any important areas. Once this was determined, he agreed to do the surgery. He has done about 3-4 in a year and feels that once my coccyx is removed, that I will be more comfortable. Now the only waiting left is for them to call me with a date for the surgery.

I am very nervous and have a lot of preparation prior to surgery with the kids. I have enjoyed reading everyone's advice and really helps being emotionally and mentally prepared for surgery.

I will update you with the results of my surgery.

Lesley Fulton

What is coccydynia? | Investigation and diagnosis | Treatment | Coping with coccyx pain | Find a doctor or specialist

Medical papers | Personal experiences | Links to other sites | Support groups | Site map