Decided to jump right to the surgery


Original posting, 2001-12-02:

I am 23 years old and a mother of one. My pain in the behind started after delivering my son 1 1/2 years ago. Walking, bending over, sitting, driving/riding a few miles, etc... were very painful to do. I decided a month ago to visit my family physician who sent me for some X-rays. The Radiologist stated in his report that the coccyx was not broken. I started to believe that the pain was just something in my head because of the little remarks my family physician and the x-ray techs were saying. They couldn't believe that I injured my tailbone during childbirth. Many thanks to this wonderful website, I've found that I am not alone!!!

My family physician referred me to an Orthopaedic Surgeon who specializes in the spine, Dr. Thomas Merritt in NW Ohio. The Dr. examined the x-rays and asked many questions. He gave me all my options leaning more towards the anti-inflamatory shot or the surgery to remove the tailbone. After reading many stories on this website, I decided to skip the "temporary-fix" and jump right to the surgery. I am scheduled for January 7th, 2002.

Please feel free to e-mail me. I would like to hear from others who experienced pain like myself and underwent surgery.

Update 2002-01-20:

One day after surgery ------ Today, I arrived home from Flower (sp?) Hospital at 12.00pm. I am experiencing a lot of numbness and pain in the coccyx area. It is especially hard to get out of bed and also to use the rest-room. I have not yet had a bowel movement and frankly, I am not looking forward to it either!

I will tell you everything that I can remember after my arrival to Outpatient's Surgery yesterday. I was due to arrive at 9.30am – we were running early and got there at 9.15 (very odd for us to be early!) I signed in with the receptionist, got my wrist band and tried to search for a few open chairs in the hectic waiting area. Soon after, the Lab Tech took me back to a room and drew three vial of blood after poking around in my right arm. She released me back to the waiting area. Approximately 5 minutes later I was taken back to be prepared for surgery. I had to remove every ounce of clothing and also remove all jewellery. This was a little upsetting – I have my nipples pierced and they had just passed the 6 month healing time and I had to take them out – Grrr! The nurse had me wear a gown, asked a million questions and inserted my IV. The anaesthesiologist popped in to introduce himself, my surgeon stopped to say they were cleaning up from the last surgery, and asked a few questions. At 11.45am a goofy nurse strolled me on the stretcher to the operating room. It was nice to have him make me laugh when I was scared and nervous. They parked my stretcher right alongside the operating table. The anaesthesiologist administered a shot through my IV and had be take a few breaths from an oxygen mask.

Next thing I know, I am lying on my back with tears streaming down my face. I asked if I could flip over to my side and some jerk said no. I was in excruciating pain and wanted to rip his hoohoo off! I eventually scooted onto my side freezing and uncomfortable with this breathing tube shoved in my nostrils on full blast. It was hard to keep my eyes open and I was really lucky to have wonderful nurses wherever I went. I was given a few small doses of morphine in my IV before I was able to see my husband and mom at 3 pm. I was given water and jello about an hour later and at about 5.30. I was served a delicious dinner. I didn't ask for any pain meds again until midnight – I couldn't sleep. This morning I took a Vicodin and then two more before my journey home.

I am unable to tell at this point if the surgery helped me. The doc said he removed two parts of the loose tail-bone and it looked like an old fracture. If I left anything out let me know and I will try to answer it.

8 days after surgery ---------  I have experienced draining (blood/water looking mixture). I am still having troubles sitting at all. I am basically only able to walk around or lay down on my side. Yesterday 2 of my steri-strips fell off of the incision and exposed a hole big enough to put the end of a pencil in. I was to go to the doctor today to have it checked out but my husband looked at it this morning and said there was now a layer over the hole and it looks like it is trying to heal. I am due to go to the doctor on Thursday to have my stitches removed, honestly, I don't think they'll remove them yet, maybe next week.

Update, 2003-04-20:

Since I have received so many emails from my posting on your website I have decided to do an update and have you remove my email from the page.

Since my t-bone surgery, January 7 2002, I have zero pain! Knowing now that I would be 100% recovered, I would do it again. It's just getting past those first few months post-surgery that are a PITA (pain in the ass)! I am pregnant with my second child now (due in mid-August), and am hoping that this delivery won't refracture the remainder of the tailbone.

If you'd like to visit the website of my orthopedic surgeon, it is:

Thank you!


What is coccydynia? | Investigation and diagnosis | Treatment | Coping with coccyx pain | Find a doctor or specialist

Medical papers | Personal experiences | Links to other sites | Support groups | Site map